• Kathleen Brehaut

    I was born on the Channel islands.

    We were evacuated in the second World War when the Germans were in northern France … we could see the lights. My parents had a letter from the War Office to say my brother had been wounded in France and was in hospital in England. We arrived in Weymouth and took the train to Yorkshire.

    I was the Secretary of the Channel Islands Society in Brighouse.

    We were allowed to send a letter to our relations in Guernsey every 3 months through the Red Cross… just 20 words, that’s how we kept in touch.

    I kept this thank you letter from Winston Churchill. I had to write to thank him for all he had done.








  • Phyllis Thomas

    I was born on a houseboat on the Grand Union canal in Cheshire. We were five girls and three boys. My mum was 41 when I was born. My father worked on the barges…bringing coal. I was five when we moved into a house. We had lovely stuff on the boat … painted china  and antiques.

    The family are still in Cheshire. My 5 children are all spread out. I’ve been to Australia twice and America in 2010 and Greece … to Germany with Haverfordwest ladies choir … I’m still a member but don’t sing! I’ve been to Scotland … all over the place, touring. We are like family, the choir … we miss each other.

    The more progress in the world, the harder things are. It used to be that everone was the same, everyone respected everyone else then.

    If you weep, you weep alone. It’s best to sing  and laugh.

  • Walter Picton

    Walter Picton, known as Wally, is holding a photo of himself with some of his 7 brothers and sisters, that was taken by a photographer.

    I live with Eileen, my best friend and wife.

    My grandfather was lost at sea in suspicious circumstances. I tried to solve the mystery, and went to the papers.

    A relative is doing research on the Picton family name in Pembrokeshire. The Family tree goes back along way. Someone from the Picton family hung himself at Carew castle because the Queen sent him to Ireland to collect tax, but he spent it on a party and hung himself.

  • Dorothy Nicholls

    My husband Thomas was in the navy and I was in the Wrens. He went in as a boy … and been in the navy all his life. We met in Plymouth. I was 18 and he was 4 years older. We married in 1944 and met 12 months before.

    I’m from Tenby, he was from Cardiff . We both have the same surname, Nicholls so nothing changed whatsoever!

    Thomas was based in Plymouth. He bought himself out. He wanted to be home more often. He was an electrician … and had no problem finding work. He worked at Brawdy and I worked at The County Cinema in Haverfordwest.We had five children, and now I live alone… as Thomas died 10 years ago.

  • Des Masters

    I was In the Fleet Air Arm… my carrier was HMS Shah. I was in the control room. I had a direct line to Lord Louis Mountbatten.

    My wife, she was so young.  She was twenty-one. I met her on the station in Cardiff during the war in 1943 … and we had 62 years of a happy married life.

    I lived in Merthyr Vale for 22 years then moved to Nelson, Mid Glamorgan for 40 years. When my wife died, I moved to Haverfordwest. 

    Four years ago, my daughter took me to the Fleet Air Arm museum headquarters in Yeovil, on my birthday.


  • George Chapman

    I was born on top of Beachy head in Sussex … in a shepherds cottage on the Downs.

    My father worked on the private estates . I followed him, doing the cows in the morning, a real country boy. I can remember hay-making, we are talking about the 1920’s. When he was ploughing with two  horses, they were the power of the farm.

    My father died when I was 9. We had to move to London. My mother married an ex soldier. He was an angel. We kept moving to find work.

    My stepfather took photos…he had a box brownie … the most famous camera of all.

    I live on my own, and am quite happy looking after myself.

  • Jane Harcombe

    A friend of mine who is really artistic wanted some practice doing a sculpture. The bust was done in one sitting and photographs were taken too. She went on to be  a nurse in the war. My mother commissioned the sculpture unofficially…and bought her a present for doing it. I was 21. Our families were all friends and we stayed in touch until she was 85 or so.

    The Doodlebugs had just started. We rented a house in Wimbledon but it was too dangerous so we decided to move to Portishead in Somerset… with my parents…my husband camped out in air ministry and the house in Wimbledon was bombed.ate it!

    Holidays were spent in Pembrokeshire, in Tenby with my uncle who had no children. He was very good to my brother and I. He had a house on the quay…and  one of the only cars at the time. My uncle used to send boxes of fish from Tenby to Portishead. We ate rather a lot…as we couldn’t refrigerate anything then!

  • Betty Owen

    His name was Tysall Adam Owen. He was lovely. All the family loved him. He come to Cheltenham to do the gasometer. He was talking to us on the corner, and my Nan said, “Betty, who you talking to?” But her being welsh and him being welsh, she loved him.She used to say “he was sent”.

    My Nan brought the 3 of us up…me, David and Yvonne. She was mother and father to us. When she was taken ill, she was bringing up a great grandson…and in the end I had him. My sister said, when our  Nan died, “Thank you for the ever open door.”

    We lived in Cheltenham, but he always said, “When the time is right, when our Tanya gets married, we will go back to the hills of Wales”. He was from Narberth. He was a shy chap really. It’s a wonder he ever picked me!

    My grandson has got a place not far from me. He is always dropping in. He is lovely too. He has got a lot of mannerisms like my husband. They’ve all got my husband’s dark wavy hair. He had blue eyes…a good looking chap. He was beautiful.



  • John Hughes

    John is fluent in Welsh. He was born in St Davids.  He lives in Haverfordwest now, with his daughter Anne, who moved so he can stay in his own house. He comes four days a week to Meadow Park.

    My first job was to make coffins. I was a country carpenter. Did all the work … whatever needed doing, this was before you could buy in ready-made. Always lived in Pembrokeshire. I worked on Angle Estate as a carpenter for a few years … and did jobs on all the farms.

    I was chucked out of school choir … couldn’t sing! Me and my mate, Ivor Evans …both of us were not very good. Hasn’t stopped me singing!

    Dad was in hospital a couple of weeks ago … and the nurses told me he was singing hymns and arias at 2 am in the morning!

  • Meg Mills

    I had a career in the services … Navy Fleet Air Arm … as a Petty Officer in the Wrens. I served in Malta … and lived in Malta. My son was born there too … then I came back to the UK … never stopped roaming!

    I’ve two wedding rings and three engagement rings … but I’m not doing anymore!

    My favourite place … a little island called Gozo … that’s a charming little place.

    I had to give up my home in Cornwall because it wasn’t built for the likes of me … it had an old staircase. My daughter lives there now.

    I’ve got a dear little cabin now in my son’s garden … I’m very well off, but I don’t like to be lonely … couldn’t live on my own … alright for a day or half a day … but I  like company!

  • Margaret Williams

    I was brought up in Haverfordwest and went to Prendergast school.

    I live in a home in Merlins Bridge. I like it there. They look after you…a carer comes in every night. It’s nice. It’s homely. You can do what you like and there is company there for us.

    I like looking at the wood and watching the squirrels… grey ones. You’ve got to keep still …otherwise you can frighten them. I love watching them, its better than watching telly!

    I’m hoping to move into a one bedroom flat.

    I’ve always looked after my mum and aunty, but there is no-one to look after me.

    I like getting up early at 7 am…and get my own breakfast. I’m up here at Meadowpark every day and really like it.

  • Tony Knight

    Tony is a Haverfordwest boy.

    He enjoys football and is a keen supporter of Haverfordwest Football Club, attending many of their home matches.

    This keyring is a link with Blackpool. My helper bought it for me. I’ve had it for a long time.

    My cousin Graham lives up there.

  • Glyn Rees

    I started work at fourteen … on a farm near Burton … milking cows.  Finished at 64.

    I went to the first place … a smallholding where there were only 12 cows … and we did all the milking by hand then. I’ve been milking nearly all my life.

    Second farm I worked on kept turkeys … killed a few of them. Ten thousand one Christmas!


  • Agnes Kaspers

    This is my father. His name was James Collins. The pony he is on is Trixie.

    He married Lucy Collins, who worked for the Reverend Baring Gould from St Martins Church. She was housekeeper for him.

    The first popworks in Haverfordwest was Collins Popworks. He also had a market garden. He used to sell apples, cabbages, plums. He had an orchard. He also made juice with the apples.

    The orchard has gone now. It was at the bottom of Slade lane and my daughter Angela lives there now. The by-pass was built at the bottom of the garden.


  • Gerald Sibson

    I won the cup  at the very first Merlins Bridge show ever. My speciality was onions. I started with one allotment then took another over. I had a 5  horse power Merrytiller. Put manure on in autumn, all the heavy rain watered it into the ground. Come the spring it was all ready.

    I remember planting Elsa Craig and Showmaster. I started them off in the greenhouse and once the fear of frosts had passed, planted them in the soil. Grew about 1000 one year.

    I stopped because I had a stroke.The doctor said I couldn’t do any more gardening but that it was ok to have a patch in the garden. I just grow a couple of things now… in containers.