Moving stories is a collaboration between spacetocreate – a community arts organisation specialising in participatory visual arts and Curious Ostrich – a community educational and documentary video company.
The project is one of a portfolio of projects funded by Big Lottery Wales through its Community Voice programme, and managed by the Pembrokeshire Association of Voluntary Services (PAVS). Its aim is to build stronger communities which are better able to contribute to the design of the services they need.
Moving stories worked with people of all ages and abilities using visual arts and digital media to tell stories that can be used to shape the planning and delivery of services in Pembrokeshire.
Over four years (2013-17), 160 people took part in a series of 16 experimental and creative media projects, which are archived on this site and have also been showcased in the community through a programme of exhibitions and screenings.
The portfolio includes:
- sound recordings
- photographic exhibitions
- public art works
- digital stories
- documentary films
Each year, the project targeted different groups:
Whilst each story is individual and unique, through a careful and considered selection process, the projects have the potential of illustrating wider shared realities and have been used in a variety of ways:
- As a reminder for service planners of the real issues and concerns faced by the people they are planning for
- Staff development and training
- To raise awareness of current services and the need for new ones
- As campaign material
- Resources for people acting as advocates on behalf of vulnerable groups
- To inform the wider community of the diverse needs within it